Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sunflower potholder - free pattern

Pin It

The sunflower potholder had been in my wish list for a long time. I found the original vintage pattern here. I don't know if any of you have tried it, but I found it very difficult. The pattern simply didn't make any sense to me. I gave up after a few unsuccessful attempts. I surfed the net for an alternate sunflower pattern but since this was the one that I wanted to make I tweaked it and made it easier. If you wish to make one for yourself go ahead and make use of the pattern given below.

I used sport weight yarns in brown and yellow and size H/5 mm crochet hook. I have written the pattern using American terms. My finished potholder measured approximately 7.5 inches from end to end.

Abbreviations used:
ch - chain
st/sts - stitch/stitches
sl st - slip stitch (UK term - single crochet)
sc - single crochet (UK term - double crochet)
dc - double crochet (UK term - treble)
puff stitch - 5 dc stitches worked together in the same stitch

Using brown make a magic ring.
Round 1: Ch 1, 6 sc into ring. Join (6 sts)
Round 2: Ch 1, in each sc make 1 sc and 1 puff stitch. Join. You will have 6 sc and 6 puff stitches, so totally 12 sts in this round.


Round 3: Make 2 sc in each st (2 sc in each sc and 2 sc in each puff stitch). Join. You will have 24 sc. 

 Round 4: Ch 1, sc in same st, **puff stitch in next st, sc in next st** Repeat from ** to ** around. (12 sc and 12 puff stitches - 24 sts in total)

Round 5: Ch 1, sc in same st, **2 sc in next st, sc in next st** Repeat from ** to ** around. Join (36 sc)
Round 6: Ch 1, sc in same st, **puff stitch in next st, sc in next st** Repeat from ** to ** around. Join (18 sc and 18 puff stitches - 36 sts in total)
Round 7: Ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next st, **2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts** Repeat from ** to ** around. Join (48 sc)
Round 8: Ch 1, sc in same st, **puff stitch in next st, sc in next st** Repeat from ** to ** around. Join (24 sc and 24 puff stitches - 48 stitches in total). Cut off brown.

Petals:
Join yellow in the sc between 2 puff stitches, ch 9, sc in the 3rd ch from hook, hdc in next ch, dc in next 5 ch, skip next puff stitch and sl st in next sc, turn.


**ch 1, sc in front loops of 5 dc, ch 4, turn.
sc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc in next ch, dc in the back loops of next 5 dc, skip next puff stitch and sl st in next sc. Turn.**


Repeat from  ** to ** around.

To join the first and last petals together turn the potholder and sc into the back loops of 5 dc of both the petals. Weave in all the loose ends.


I hope I have written the pattern without any errors. If you come across any, please do let me know.

Have a happy day!
     

30 comments:

  1. Wundervoll & Danke! ♥
    Liebe Grüße,*Manja*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see I have missed so many posts on your blog. Everyone of them is beautiful Pradeepa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute :-) Thanks for sharing your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! Thanks for sharing great tutorial!
    Hope you have a wonderful week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know...I come to your blog and it's as if I can physically feel the calm & tranquility emanating from your work. Your beautiful work. Everything here is so lovely & this sunflower you have shared?...vibrant & wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super work . Thank u for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful...Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful potholder. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the pattern, Pradeepa!! It's very neat and lovely !! I liked the way you have done the brown part of the flower.:) I don't use potholders but I can use it as a single big motif on cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this pattern, it is really good.i definetly want to make one x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really fabulous, thank you for sharing the pattern with us xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at how gorgeous it is! Thank you.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. The potholder looks absolutely gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful pattern:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow beautiful!!! I love the shades you've chosen. And thank you very much for the pattern :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful!
    I wish I could crochet.......

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, this potholder is so pretty and you did a great job crocheting it! I saw it at the Adorned from above party.
    Julie at Julie's Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  18. A very sweet Sunflower. Each August, I drive West to see the wild Sunflowers. Thank you for sharing such a pretty pattern. ~Kelly

    unDeniably Domestic

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love sunflowers and this is really beautiful. Thanks for the UK term conversion, I get so easily muddled, I have to print the pattern out and write all over it. I've even been know to make things much to big or too small because I've used the wrong stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just made this. I had no problems crocheting it but it wants to cup and won't lay flat. It seems to need increases
    in the petal round. I did use worsted weight yarn and a larger hook but don't see how using the smaller yarn and
    hook would change that. Any suggestions?
    You can email me at butterflycrochet at gmail.com.

    Thanks,
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you! I too tried the original vintage pattern and gave up on it. Sunflowers are my daughter's favorites so this one will be for her (and then probably another one for me :D )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dawn O in Kansas, USAMay 30, 2015 at 7:41 PM

    I want to say Thank You along with others! I am not trying to insult you, but are you aware that if using regular yarn, it will melt if used on hot items? I would use wool or cotton to avoid this issue. Other than that, it is just an "out of this world" pattern and you are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so grateful for this, thank you! I had the same vintage pattern pulled up and simply gave up on it. I was searching for another pattern that I liked as much and found your post. We are on the same wavelength. 😊 I'm starting on it directly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hopefully your blog is always crowded with visitors and continues to share information, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this pattern! How many skeins of yarn are needed in each color?

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...